Thursday, September 6, 2007

Mount Major - 1786'

A "Major" step up for us!

Alton is so nice. Not the hustle and bustle of other lake areas. We got some nice deli sandwiches "downtown" at 9am at a delicious country store that had heavenly-smelling freshly baked bread.

We huffed and puffed all the way up the Brook Trail leap-frogging another family. We found this little orange salamander on one break.







What a beautiful 360 degree view from the top! A beautiful blue day, too. The wind at the top had us reaching for the second layer.





A wee bit early for lunch, I broke out the new Garmin GPS and said let's find burried treasure! I think Muh thought I was nuts! As I homed in on our first geochache she started to look like she believed I was actually looking for something and started looking too. Here she is posing with our first cache:



After lunch we went straight down the Main Trail. I guess we're getting old. That was pretty hairy--descending the steep expanses of slab. The old thighs might never be the same :-) I guess we'll be continuing with the "easy" hikes for a while. I thought we were in shape!

No comments: